Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Amazing Dental Hygiene Meeting...


Last night I went to my components meeting. I was tired, it had been a long day at the office. I really wasn't looking forward to the meeting, not because the topic didn't sound interesting, but because I was SOOO TIRED! I knew I had to go. I am the Trustee of our component so I needed to be there to give a report from the Board of Trustee meeting (that was on Saturday). I got there and went right into the meeting room and found a spot to sit, there were a lot of people there. I'm really glad I did that, I'm not sure I would of had a seat/table if I hadn't. We had a big meeting 40 + people in the room (it's kinda a small room, being renovated before the next meeting). Our dental hygiene meetings always have a continuing education segment...really that's what most of the meeting is. Last night's topic was "Innovations in Salivary Diagnosis", and the speaker was Sandra Boucher-Bessent, RDH, BS, who just happens to be the president of the North Carolina Dental Hygiene Association.

We talked about Salivary test that show's which bacteria you have that is causing your periodontitis or if you are more genetically susceptible to having periodontitis. IT WAS SO COOL!! To be able to detect the exact bacteria and to be able to prescribe the correct antibiotic to combat the bacteria. A way to keep everything under control? WOW!!! We also discussed HPV and how it is associated with Oral Cancer. Salivary testing to go along with that as well. It is so AMAZING!

I hope I can talk to my office, and see about using this technology in it. It's such an amazing process that so mind blowing, yet so simple. I love it when things like this come up. Makes me happy to be doing what I do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment