Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Not Quite 100 miles this week.



(the temp out when I took Scout for a walk on Saturday..It's warm at 5 am)

So this week I should of had 100 miles to share with you, however I had a wardrobe malfunction on my bike ride yesterday (nothing Janet Jackson-ish) that caused me to stop at the half way point. My ride yesterday was for the MS society, it was the Cup N Cone ride. If you live in the area, and your a cyclist you've probably heard of it, if not: this ride is HARD. It's goes up a legendary hill (Lystra) of which many many horror stories are told, and then just when you think you conquered that hill, it goes up a few more hills just to laugh in your face. To add insult to this hilly course the temperatures yesterday were high, as in heat index of 105 +. Climbing Lystra (for my very first time) was a challenge (when I looked at my bike computer and it said I was going 4 mph, I almost got off my bike and walked it....but I didn't), but I felt really good for the ride.....except for my malfunction. So when you go on long bike rides with skinny little bike seats your silly looking spandex shorts need to have some padding in them, and mine do. I actually wear tri shorts for most of my rides instead of bike shorts. The difference is the chamois that is inside (the padding). On tri shorts they are thinner because you actually wear the shorts for all three sports (the swim, the bike, and the run) for bike shorts they are usually a little bulkier. My tri shorts have been great, until this ride. I got the start of the dreaded saddle sores. So I decided to get sagged (the SAG vehicle assists riders with what they need) back to the start, rather than have to heal for 2 weeks off the saddle sores (I'm not good at dealing with pain in certain areas). Once back to the start, I waited for 2.5 hours in the heat for my friends to finish their ride (I drove over with one of my good friends). Needless to say it was a hot Saturday ride for all the cyclist out there. The cool thing is that I got to meet Ray...who is a cyclist and the guy who drove me back to the start. He will be riding with my friend Kim who has been riding with a group in N. Raleigh for most of the summer. And once I finish my Half Ironman training I'll get to come ride with them too! Ray's wife Karen rides with the group now. Ray is actually recovering from a heart attack that he had at the Gears and Cheers ride earlier this year.

(Ray- the guy who brought me back)

(notice the feels like temp on the right hand side...this is while waiting for everyone else to finish)
(So at least I found a shady spot to wait)

So total miles this week were 66. 11 miles of running on Wednesday (yes all in a row). I started my run at 6 am and it was already hot out. I met Jess at about the half way point and she ran back with me. Just our "normal" Wednesday routine. I'm kinda sad I'm working this week on Wednesday it changes up our routine. P

The North Carolina heat is making training tough, but I'm "tri-ing" to make it through all my workouts. (I made a funny). On Tuesday I did the Ladies mountain bike ride at Lake Crabtree Park. It was good and I only officially fell twice. With some near falls happening multiple times. I can still count 5 bruises on my body from the ride. It was a warm evening on that Tuesday.
(notice the 58% humidity)

Next weekend I'll be doing a triathlon, an Olympic distance race in Washington, NC (they call it the original Washington). I did a big biking weekend there a few years ago, and it'll be flat flat flat. I'm hoping everything will go well for the race and the weather will try to calm down a little (I mean, it's miserable in this heat). I going down on Friday and coming back after the race on Saturday. I have a couple of friends who are coming too, so it should be FUN!! Not sure if I'll get any pics, but I'll tri! (look I'm being cute again)

Fund-raising is going really well. I've gotten my first donation for the Disney marathon - and that makes me happy! Augusta fund-raising is
complete. So a big thank you again to everyone who has donated! You make me happy to be able to do this, and I'll make you proud of what this body can do.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s mission is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and to improve the quality of life of patients and their families.


While I am fortunate to have been blessed with good health, one person in the United States is diagnosed with a blood cancer approximately every four minutes. That is ONE parent, child, sibling, or friend since you began reading this page. I am asking for your help in reaching my fundraising goal for this cause. I am taking on this daunting physical feat to show my support for finding a cure, and what I am asking you to do now is to give a small donation in support of this great cause.


Please take a moment, right now, to donate. Do not wait to do this later.

Please donate now. Now is when your help is needed; not yesterday, not tomorrow, right now as you read this. Please support me, the researchers working for the cure, and for those people who have to fight this disease everyday.


I am reaching out to you because I know you will not sit back and do nothing; because you realize that even the smallest contribution can make

a monumental difference.


Do you know someone else who would be interested in supporting this cause?

Please forward this information to them.


Do you think that your company would be willing to donate?

Please pass this information on to them.



My goal is to raise $11,500.

Thank you for taking the time to read my fundraising page

and thank you for your support!


  • All Donations are 100% Tax Deductable
  • Each donation helps accelerate finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.
  • You can make a secure online tax-deductible donation (and track my progress) by visiting my site: http://pages.teamintraining.org/nc/wdw12/dentalfriend
  • You will receive a confirmation of your donation by email and I will be notified as soon as you make your donation.
  • If you wish to donate by check- it can be made out to the LLS and sent to my address (please message me for the address)
  • Please send me the name of the person you are donating in honor of- I would like to honor them or their memory during the race.


I still have raffle tickets! The drawing is in 1 month! August 27th. You do not have to be present to win! Tickets are 1 for $10 and 3 for $25. The prize......$1,000! Who couldn't use that? Let me know if you are interested in buying tickets. Your odds are good to win!

Plans are in the works for some painting, wine, and bowling "fun"d-raisers for you local peeps. I'll let you know the details when I get everything worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment