Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Crunch Time...

[Preface- I started this post on Wednesday May 30th ]

It's getting down to CRUNCH TIME!!  I'm about to leave on another adventure!  I've raised $4,515.00 for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society this season.  I've enjoyed my training, and learned a ton about how to cycle in a group. I believe I've become a better group cyclist, and am excited about being out on more group rides.  Now if I could just teach everyone else how to ride better??  Another day for a another story.  Reflecting back on this year of intense, and maybe a little insane training and fundraising has made me really think about why I do this.  Of course I love endurance sports, I also love sitting on the couch watching TV and eating crappy foods.  I digress.  I love endurance events, well I love being outside, working out, and hanging out with my friends....who love endurance events. *smiles* I'm impressed with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's mission, and am happy to know that 80 + % of the money I raise goes to patient services and research to find cures.  If you look at other non-profits this isn't always the case.  LLS does a good job of putting the money where it is needed, so even if my world wasn't rocked by blood cancers, I believe I would be supporting LLS.  Ahhh, but there's the rub.  My world, and if you've read this blog you know, has been rocked by blood cancer.  Not me personally, although sometimes it has felt like it, but my family and my friends.  Knowing the battles that others have been through, and continue to go through, makes the hills and the miles feel like nothing (<-- not true, they still are long and hard, but it gets put into perspective).

So my bags are mostly packed, by bike is on it's way to Lake Tahoe, in just a few days I'll be on an airplane flying out to do my 7th TNT event, and my first century cycle.  My coaches and teammates have been wonderful this season.  I'm happy to have everyone coming along for the ride (and missing the couple of teammates that will be doing Fletcher Flyer instead of Tahoe).  I've been prepared in the best way I can be.  I know this ride will not be easy, I don't pick the easy ones.  I know it will be beautiful.  I mean it's in the name for crying out loud.





No comments:

Post a Comment