Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Scout adventures

So on Wednesday May 30th I took Scout in to get his teeth cleaned.  This is a big deal, as I have in the past gotten out my instruments and cleaned his teeth myself.  However I've been slack on that lately, and I noticed that his gums were not so happy.  That and he has a tissue tag that comes and goes on his gum that I can't take off.  So we decided to have the whole teeth cleaning adventure and while we doing that we thought we should go ahead and take off the warts and tissue tags he has on his skin as well.

I dropped him off at the vet at 7:30 am, and they told me they would call Jason to come pick him up after he was ready.  I opted for the blood work for the older dogs (because he is).  I was nervous about him going under, but happy that his teeth and gums would be doing better afterwards.  They use ultrasonic scalers when they work on the teeth at the vet's office, just like I do on some of my patients.

At 8:45 I got a call from the vet, telling me that Scout's liver levels/counts were off the charts.  That they didn't feel he should go under for the dental treatment, and that they would be taking an x-ray to rule out any masses.  WHAT!!  SHOCK!!  Completely devastated that my sweet doggy might be sick.  I ended up calling my dental office and telling them I wouldn't be in for work, I was a WRECK.  In the end there was no visible mass, so we are on a regimen of antibiotics and Denamarin (for liver disease) to see if it changes the levels.  If it does not then we will need to do an ultrasound to see if there are nodules, and then go from there.

On top of all the liver stuff, Scout has developed a limp.  So we are working on treating that with meds that are not processed through the liver.  The first round of meds didn't work, and now we are working on round 2.

We go back on the 18th, to check the liver levels, and if all is well then we will get his teeth cleaned and move on from there.  If it is not okay then.....well then we'll see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment