Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Racking up some miles and climbing some hills...


I don't know about you, but I am loving and hating the weather this year.  It's actually been a very mild winter for us here in North Carolina, but it seems like the beautiful days are during the week, when we have to work, and the icky rainy days are on the weekends when we want to play.  This weekend was no exception.  Training was postponed from Saturday to Sunday because of the threat (and indeed there were) severe thunderstorms.  Saturday was a blustery mess of ick.  Sunday however, turned out to be a GREAT day to ride.  I wasn't sure when I got in my car to drive 45 minutes to our start place, but the day was really great.  Overcast and not to warm.  We rode from Kelly Road, up to Lystra (the infamous hill with an 11% grade in it) to 15-501, down Jack Bennett (that was fun!), I rode back up and down Jack Bennett, then back around to Kelly Road.  There were some good rollers in there, our big grade hill, and all kinds of different road surfaces to experience.  I watched one of my teammates really blossom on this ride.....it's so AWESOME watching people really start to enjoy and come into themselves while biking.  Another teammate who is just starting out had her first fall with clip in pedals. It's a right of passage, and we all congratulated her. You've got to get these things out of the way so you can get the fear out of the way and just bike.  I rode about 42 miles on Sunday, and all in all it was a wonderful day!

Coming up this week: I'm doing the Tour de Granville, a metric century (62 miles).  If anyone cares to join me I'll attach the info and you can sign up.  *smiles*  They have several riding options including a full century (100 miles).

I haven't gotten the numbers back from the Moe's fundraiser, but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....for going to eat at Moe's for me!  As soon as I know I'll send out $ we raised from that day!! 

I'm still making/ selling drink coasters, that if I do say so myself, are pretty darn cool!  You can get them directly from me, or at Trek Bikes of Raleigh.  They are a set of 4 coasters for $15.  What a deal!!

I also still have the beautiful Angel of Grace Cancer Awareness bracelets.  If you haven't seen them...they are AMAZING!!  I am selling them for $15 each.

There are only 17 spots left for the Wine and Painting Party on April 14th.  If you want to come join us for a wine tasting starting at 5:45 at Wine 101, and then a painting class (Painting Red Poppies), around the corner at Wine and Design Wake Forest, please sign up with W&DWF by going to the website and clicking on the painting of Red Poppies on April 14th, or calling them at: 919-843-0552.  Class Cost is $40.

I'll leave you with this little tid bit and story today:

DID YOU KNOW...Leukemia, Hodgkin Lymphoma, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Myeloma and Myelodysplastic Syndromes are types of cancer that can affect the bone marrow, the blood cells, the lymph nodes and other parts of the lymphatic system.  These diseases are related cancers in the sense that they all result from mutations to the DNA of a single lymph or blood-forming stem cell.  The disease process can lead to severe anemia, bleeding, an imparied ability to fight infection, or death.

Jim Bond Long Term Survivor Story- multiple myeloma

In 2002, after three stem cell transplants had provided a decade of remissions, Jim Bond of Shaker Heights, Ohio, was running out of options. His multiple myeloma, a cancer of bone marrow plasma cells, was raging out of control, and Jim knew he was facing death. That's when he and his wife Kathleen asked his doctor about a new drug they had learned was showing promising results in early clinical trials.
Update from Jim Bond:  I hope you are doing well. I'm doing well. In fact, I recently rode 291 miles on my bike in a 4-day event from Cleveland to Cincinnati. Others affected by cancer were encouraged that 3 of us cancer survivors were able to complete this bike ride. Myeloma survivors seem particularly encouraged that I did this as a 15 year survivor, while taking daily cancer medication (Revlimid).
  
Chrissy Harlow


This year I've done the August 70.3 Half Ironman, and the Disney 26.2 Marathon, and now I am training for America's Most Beautiful Ride (100 mile bike ride in Tahoe) in June. All with Team in Training, raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  Help me fund cancer research and patient services.  All donations are 100% tax deductible!


No comments:

Post a Comment